Friday, April 26, 2013

Ziggy Stardust

Star Lotulelei was selected at #14 by the Carolina Panthers! He joins Steve Smith and Jordan Gross as ProUtes on the Panthers roster. Star was deserving of a top ten pick, but this is a great fit for a tremendous player. Michael Schottey of Bleacher Report deemed it the best pick of the first round to that point.

He wasn't the first defensive tackle drafted (Missouri's Sheldon Richardson went one pick earlier to the Jets) in this line-heavy first round, nor was he the first defensive lineman from a Utah school to be picked; that distinction went to the school down south's Ziggy Ansah. Ziggy didn't even start the full season in college, but his athleticism and his potential propelled him into the first round. And, because pass rushers are considered more valuable than run stoppers, Ziggy was taken before Star (#5 by the Detroit Lions).

I must admit I wanted to see Star's production to go ahead of Ziggy's potential, but I wouldn't want them to trade places. I'm pumped to see Star go to Carolina, my second favorite NFL team. I wanted him to go #10 to Tennessee, but I can understand why they picked an offensive lineman instead.

According to Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com, new Panthers general manager David Gettleman wasted no time in turning in the draft card with Star's name on it. Gettleman got his man!

No comments:

Post a Comment